After the first game day, we talked to one of the leaders of the Ferrum team – Stewart Johannes Parnell.
He talked about the first match in the tournament, his expectations and the difficulties in learning short hockey.
It is important to note that this dialogue took place before the organizers announced that the tournament would not be continued, therefore, in this dialogue, both interlocutors talk about the team’s future in the tournament.
– Yesterday your team had a fantastic match, it made a fantastic comeback in 3 period, what do you think was the turning point in achieving victory?
– I think we just started to understand the game better, young players began to act more in the team. We started moving the puck faster with the better condition we made a comeback and played better as a team.
– Why didn’t you manage to show such a confident game from the very beginning?
– Well, it was the first game and a lot of gays haven’t played a month or two months, so it was the first time on the ice. Also we have never played together before – the chemistry won’t be right at the beginning. Through out this tournament, I think, that we will improve our game.
– Your captain, Vachon, got a yellow card at the end of the second period, did you discuss this moment in the locker room?
– To be honest, I didn’t understand, why he got this yellow card. The referee spoke with us in slovak, so we understood, that it was for a high stick slap shot… No, we didn’t talk about that in the locker room, because we didn’t know what was going on. The coach told us, that we can’t do slap shots, even fake slap shot.
– Which team are you looking to play against the most?
– There are all good teams, and a very good tournament at all. We want to understand, how to play against every team and win as many matches as we can.
– And do you have your personal goals?
– I’m not here for the personal goals – short hockey is a team sport, anyway I can help the team – I will do that.
– Was it difficult to understand short hockey rules?
– It is not too difficult, one or two games to get used to and after that it would be easier to play short hockey. It is very fast and we need to remember about